Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Call for FREE quotes: (888) 442-5133
UPDATED: Mar 13, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Automobile insurance appears to be issued in the exact same way for every driver. After closer evaluation, the savvy shopper realizes there are almost as many ways to insure a vehicle as there are drivers on the road. Do yourself a favor and look through a comparison to find cheaper car insurance rates to save you money.
Checking out the unique car insurance options will give you a better idea of what insurance to buy. Get started now by putting in your ZIP code to receive FREE car insurance quotes! Wise insurance shoppers will never attempt to use a standard policy to insure a unique or expensive vehicle.
Standard Auto Insurance
Manufacturer standards dictate how an insurance provider will insure a vehicle. Mass-produced vehicles, without customized features, fall within the vehicle classes that are tracked by the insurance industry.
Every vehicle make and model has actual repair and replacement cost statistics. A standard automobile insurance policy will include some combination of the following components:
- Liability – Drivers in all 50 states are required to carry liability auto insurance that will pay for damages and injuries sustained by third parties.
- Comprehensive – Damage sustained by a vehicle for any reason other than a collision including vandalism, theft or storm damage is covered under this component.
- Collision – In a collision with another vehicle or stationary object, the cost of repairing or replacing the vehicle is paid through this auto insurance policy component.
- Personal injury protection – Injuries sustained by the driver are paid through this optional policy component. Any injuries sustained by passengers or occupants of other vehicles are paid through the personal injury subcomponent under the liability component.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist – Certain areas of the United States have higher concentrations of uninsured drivers on the road. This component is optional but prudent for most drivers.
Unique Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Major insurance companies offer supplemental car insurance coverage for the standard insurance policy. These options cover costs associated with special circumstances that can cause the policyholder to pay for damages that are excluded from the policy, as stated in the policy documentation.
Additional Coverage Options
During the initial underwriting conversations, the company representative will ask if the driver would like to add one or more of the following coverage options:
Roadside assistance and Labor Service
Vehicles that break down will need to be moved from the place where they came to a stop. This coverage is important for those who travel often in remote areas. Towing coverage on a standard insurance policy will offer coverage for certain services.
- Roadside assistance upon request.
- Towing services to the nearest auto repair shop.
- Payment for the cost of labor that is performed on the vehicle where it stopped running.
- Services to jumpstart a dead battery at home or away.
- Services of a locksmith when the keys are locked inside the vehicle.
Labor costs are negotiated at some repair shops where the vehicle is services. Insurance companies make arrangements with certain service shops that will bill the insurance company directly. All of these details are written into the policy documentation.
Rental Car Reimbursement
For one or two dollars each month, auto insurance providers offer rental car reimbursement coverage. The insured vehicle might be in for repairs following an accident or engine failure.
During this time, the driver will need a replacement vehicle to get to work. The few dollars charged for the premium for this type of coverage will be minimal compared to the cost of renting a car for a week or more.
Non-Owner Auto Liability Insurance
Frequent travelers can add a non-owner option to the standard auto insurance policy to cover rental cars. Insurance coverage purchased from the rental car counter for each car rental contract will add up very quickly. The non-owner option from the auto insurer is less expensive and provides better coverage in the event a loss occurs.
Leasing companies and auto lenders can require the driver of the vehicle to carry gap insurance. This type of insurance is intended to cover the actual value of the vehicle. A car insurance company might pay $5,000 for a totaled vehicle.
An outstanding loan or lease could have a remaining balance of $10,000 or more. The gap insurance will pay the remaining balance. This option is prudent for anyone who might not be able to afford the difference.
Short-Term Car Insurance
City dwellers favor public transportation over owning an automobile. Some specific instances might arise where a car insurance policy is required to drive legally. Car insurance policies can be purchased for any length of time less than six months, which is called short-term car insurance.
- Weekend use – Infrequent weekend driving will require car insurance to comply with state laws. Drivers do not have to carry standard auto insurance. Instead, short-term car insurance can be purchased when needed.
- Borrowing a friend’s car – Thoughtful drivers will purchase short-term car insurance coverage if they intend to borrow a friend’s vehicle for any purpose.
- Rental car – During vacation trips, a driver who does not own a personal vehicle can purchase a short-term car insurance for less money than insurance purchased at the rental car counter.
Antique or Classic Car Insurance
Expensive vehicles will require specialty coverage that is not part of a standard auto insurance policy. Drivers are wise to purchase proper insurance for these expensive vehicles. A vehicle is considered antique or classic if it meets these basic requirements:
- More than 15-25 years old depending on the insurer.
- Personal-use vehicle and not for commercial transport.
- Vehicle cannot be the policyholder’s primary vehicle, which means the driver must own another car designated as the primary vehicle.
Classic and Unique Cars — Covered Under Unique Insurance Terms
Statistics are not tracked for classic or antique vehicles, so insurance companies underwrite policies that have preset payout amounts.
- Actual cash value – As the car ages, the payout amount will diminish since the car’s value is decreasing. This type of coverage is not recommended.
- Stated value – The insurance company determines how much money will be paid to the policyholder if the car is stolen or totaled. The amount is not guaranteed.
- Agreed value – Car collectors prefer this approach to auto insurance because the policy states the exact amount of money that the insurance company will pay.
Sports Car Insurance
High-end sports cars fall into a unique category because of the high costs of repairs and the frequency of theft. Insurance companies require this unique insurance for custom sports cars since the vehicles do not fall within the standard auto insurance guidelines.
Automobile insurance becomes more intricate every year because of the market needs to insure unique situations. Drivers must remember that any attempt to conceal facts about the insured vehicle will cause the insurance company to drop the coverage and cancel the policy.
Losses that occur will not be covered if the insurer feels defrauded. The law stands behind these decisions, and the policyholder will be required to pay for all losses out of pocket. Subsequent attempts to acquire auto insurance will be difficult. Get started by putting in your ZIP code to find our your car insurance quotes for FREE!