FREE Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Compare quotes from the top car insurance companies and save!
A typical car insurance policy can be costly to obtain and unforgiving to your budget. If you are not a frequent driver, or you are planning to drive a non-owned car for a short period, the typical 12-month car insurance policy is unnecessary.
There are fast and simple auto insurance plans that provide short-term coverage for the car you are driving. This concept of car insurance is referred to as temporary or weekend car insurance.
Temporary auto insurance can cover the car you are borrowing from someone else, a rental vehicle, and even your own car for the weekend. Temporary car insurance policies vary across providers (in terms of price and coverage options).
Compare quotes from various auto insurance companies to make sure that you are getting the best deal. Enter your zip code above to get started for free.
How It Works
Temporary car insurance is a solution to traditional car insurance time constricts. If you want to drive a non-owned car for a given timeframe, the vehicle owner will allow you to arrange for a policy that covers you for the period you will be driving the vehicle.
In other words, you are allowed to add someone to your policy on a temporary basis if they want to drive your vehicle for a specified period.
The policy does not renew automatically, but you have the option of renewing coverage when you need it.
If you are planning to get temporary car insurance policy for a non-owned vehicle, arm yourself with the following information:
- Personal details, i.e., name, date of birth, profession, and so on
- The period for which you require the vehicle
- Your driver’s license and driving record, including claims and past convictions
Once the coverage comes into effect, you will only be covered for the specific period indicated on the policy. If you have hired or borrowed the car for only two days of the weekend, Saturday and Sunday, your coverage starts at midnight on Friday and ends at midnight on Sunday.
Temporary coverage is more flexible, convenient, and cheaper when compared to long-term policies.
Drivers can save $859/yr* by comparing car insurance
*based on a survey of 1,000 car insurance customers
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Who is best suited for temporary car insurance?
Temporary auto insurance can be beneficial for anyone. People have many questions about this type of car insurance, and most of them want to know when it’s appropriate to buy temporary car insurance.
Here are some of the instances where you should consider purchasing temporary car insurance:
- If you have house guests, who need access to a vehicle for the duration of their visit.
- Insuring a rental or a borrowed car for a family road trip during the weekend.
- If you need to be on the road, but you are somehow between auto insurance policies.
- When you need immediate drive-away coverage for a newly acquired vehicle.
- If you buy a car that you are only planning to use for a few days and then resell it.
There are many other instances when you may find yourself in need of temporary coverage. Any driver can find him/herself in such a situation. However, there are certain groups of people who may find this type of policy more helpful. They are:
- Occasional drivers — If you own a car that you only take it for drives occasionally, temporary auto insurance coverage could be perfect for you.
- Young drivers — If you have a driver’s license or permit but you don’t have a car of your own, you can have access to a vehicle via a friend or family member and get a temporary coverage as a solution to your insurance woes.
- Learning drivers — If you are still in the process of learning how to drive but you still get the opportunity to drive in between your lessons, getting temporary coverage makes a lot of sense.
- Students — Students who know how to drive and have access to their parents’ cars during school holidays and weekends can get temporary auto insurance coverage.
Temporary auto insurance shouldn’t be taken as a replacement for a traditional policy. It all depends on how frequent you drive the vehicle.
When shopping for temporary car insurance for a weekend trip or any other reason, compare quotes from various providers offering the product before you purchase.
You will be able to obtain better coverage at a pocket-friendly cost when you compare quotes.
Temporary Coverage for Your Weekend Cruiser
A car doesn’t have to be rented or borrowed for you to obtain temporary coverage for it.
If you own two vehicles, the car you use to commute to and from work on a daily basis and a vehicle you use for the weekend or seasonally, you need to ensure that each car gets the coverage it needs.
You can get a traditional policy for the daily driver and temporary coverage for your weekend cruiser.
Many auto insurance providers will allow you to drop or add vehicles to your auto insurance policy if need be.
Sometimes, all you need is a little weekend getaway with your loved ones. If you decide to borrow or hire a bigger vehicle for that purpose, make sure that your family is fully protected by getting a temporary car insurance policy.
Before you purchase coverage, compare quotes from other providers to ensure that you are getting the best rates. Enter your zip code below to get started.