What is the claim-free discount?
Although you can save up to 20% on car insurance with a claim-free discount, discount amounts and requirements will vary by company. On average, you will need to have continuous car insurance and a clean driving record for five years in order to qualify for an accident-free discount. Consider paying out of pocket for accident damages in order to keep your car insurance rates low and qualify for discounts.
Compare Cheap Car Insurance Quotes
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: May 28, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right cheap car insurance coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare cheap car insurance quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about car insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything car insurance-related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by car insurance experts.
- Most insurers offer a claim-free discount, but requirements will vary
- Save up to 20% by avoiding accidents and filing a claim
- Avoid accidents and consider paying out of pocket for damages in order to keep car insurance rates low
If you haven’t had an accident in the last few years, you might qualify for a claim-free discount. Most car insurance companies offer this discount, and you can save up to 20% by not filing a claim.
Since it’s so widely offered, you can easily find affordable car insurance with a claim-free discount. Shop around to which company can offer you the highest discount and the cheapest rates.
Enter your ZIP code now to compare car insurance quotes with a claim-free discount from multiple companies near you for free.
What is a claim-free discount?
Avoiding filing a claim not only keeps your car insurance rates low but also makes you eligible for discounts. Most companies will offer safe driving discounts, as well as a claim-free discount.
However, the way the discount is offered will vary by company and state. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- In order to receive the accident-free discount, you will need have no claims filed in the last three to seven years, depending on the company. Most companies will also want to see at least five years of continuous car insurance coverage to qualify.
- While some companies offer you the entire discount up front, others will only give you a portion of the discount each year. For example, in order to get the 20% discount, you might only get 5% the first year, 10% the second year, and so on until you reach the full 20% discount.
- Some companies will only offer a claim-free discount in certain states. So just because your car insurance company offers the discount, it doesn’t mean it will be available to you.
- Car insurance companies will also vary in what they consider a claim. Some will fault you for accidents you weren’t at fault for, while others will only consider a claim if you cause an accident.
Although the discount is widely offered, actually finding car insurance with a claim-free discount that you can take advantage of may take a little research.
There are many ways to remain claim-free. The obvious is to practice safe driving habits and minimize your risks. According to the Centers for Disease Control, car accidents are the leading cause of death for people under age 54.
Limit driving in rush hour, obey traffic laws, and avoid distracted driving to lower your risk of an accident.
You can also choose to pay out of pocket for expenses rather than file an insurance claim. While paying for damages yourself will be more costly upfront, you can keep your auto insurance rates lower by doing so.
Compare quotes from the top car insurance companies and save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
What companies offer a claim-free discount?
In general, most car insurance companies offer a claim-free discount, but the amount of the discount and eligibility requirements will vary.
This table shows you auto insurance companies that offer a claim-free discount. Check to see if your company is listed.
|Company||Claim-Free Discount Available|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
Be sure to speak with your agent to determine which car insurance discounts you are eligible for and how to bundle them for the most savings.
Claim-Free Discount: The Bottom Line
While many insurers offer a claim-free discount, the requirements and amount of the discount will vary by the car insurance company and by state.
Before you buy car insurance with a claim-free discount, compare quotes from various companies to see who can offer you the best deal.
Enter your ZIP code now to compare car insurance rates with a claim-free discount for free.