FREE Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Compare quotes from the top car insurance companies and save!
Insurers calculate policy rates according to certain risk factors, and the type of car you drive is one of those risk factors.
Cars with exceptionally powerful engines and certain modifications cost more to insure because they are deemed a greater accident risk, and if those cars were to get into an accident, the potential for injuries is greater.
If you are looked for affordable sports car insurance, you can compare policies with our FREE comparison tool! Enter your ZIP code above to get started!
Sports cars are designed for speed and agility. The exact definition of a sports car is ambiguous, but in general, if it has a high-powered engine, two doors and was primarily designed for speed, it is more than likely a sports car.
If you own a sports car or are thinking about purchasing a sports car, you can use a comparison tool to get sports car insurance quotes.
Forbes compiled a list of the cars with the highest number of collision claims and the highest insurance costs, and it’s easy to understand why these cars are so costly to insure. They all have high MSRPs and lots of horsepower.
- Dodge Viper– The most expensive car to insurance, according to Forbes, is the Dodge Viper GT, which is certainly considered a sports car, since it has a 645 horsepower engine.
- Mercedes-Benz SL65– The second most expensive car to insure is the Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG. Advertised as the AMG SL65 Roadster, it has a 621 horsepower engine and can go from 0 to 60mph in 3.9 seconds.
- Mercedes-Benz S600– The third most expensive car to insure is the Mercedes-Benz S600. While it contains four doors and doesn’t look like a sports car, it contains a 523 horsepower engine and can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 4.5 seconds.
Drivers can save $859/yr* by comparing car insurance
*based on a survey of 1,000 car insurance customers
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Other Factors that Affect Your New Car’s Insurance Rates
Being classified as a sports car isn’t the only factor that affects your car insurance rates. You can also expect higher rates if your car costs more, is considered a theft risk, and has a convertible top.
- The Cost of Your New Vehicle– Expensive cars often contain expensive parts and high labor charges. Your car insurance company takes this into account when calculating the cost of your car insurance policy.
- Theft Rates– If your car has a high incident of theft, your insurance rates will be higher than someone who drives a make and model that is less appealing to thieves. If you are not sure if your vehicle is prone to thievery, you can check the NHTSA database.
- Convertible Tops– If your dream is to own a convertible, you may want to use a comparison tool to check the insurance rates first. Convertibles are more expensive, and they are easier to steal, especially if you purchase a cloth top.
Lowering Your Sports Car Insurance
While insurance companies use calculations to determine your risk factor and the cost associated with that risk, there are things you can do to help lower your car insurance premiums.
- Be a Cautious Driver– Lower your car insurance by being a defensive or safe driver. If you haven’t been in any car accidents in the last three years or received any driving infractions, your car insurance rates will be lower.
- Personal Use– If you only drive your sports car on weekends and during the summer, inform your insurance agent. Not driving your car very often or very far could qualify you as a low-mileage driver.
- Add Safety Features – If your sports car doesn’t include a low of safety features, considering adding them. Items like rear view cameras, ABS brakes, and passenger and side airbags can improve the safety of your car.
- Test Insurance Rates– If you are considering buying a sports car, check insurance rates with a comparison tool. You may be surprised at the costs between different makes and models of sports cars.
If you already own a sports car or a high-performance vehicle and need lower auto insurance premiums, shop around.
A comparison tool can help you find a similar insurance policy with lower monthly premiums. It works by comparing your insurance needs and personal information against all of the available policies in your local area.
Comparing allows you to choose an insurance policy that fits your budget while meeting your car insurance needs.
Start comparison shopping today with our FREE online quote tool! Enter your ZIP code here!